Monday, January 4, 2010

Dinner: Chana Masala

I am addicted to Chana Masala. Our local mall's food court has a hidden treasure--some of the Boston area's best Indian food. Everytime I am at the mall, I treat myself to some Chana Masala (which are chick peas that have been simmering in a spicy tomato sauce for 24 hours). Because it's a new year and my trips to the mall will be far less than they were last year, I figured out how to make my own version of Chana Masala. I threw a few key ingredients today and was so pleased with my lunch that I served it again for dinner. Try it and let me know what you think.

Becca's Made Up version of Chana Masala
2 Tbs. good olive oil
1 12 oz. can chick peas (garbanzo beans)
1 12 oz. can crushed tomatoes
1/2 Tbs. of Garam Masala*
2 Tbs. brown sugar
2 cloves garlic, minced

Place olive oil in medium sized saucepan on medium heat. Drain chick peas and add to olive oil. Add crushed tomatoes, Garam Masala, brown sugar, and garlic. Simmer for a few hours or for as long as you can (30 minutes would even do the trick). Serve over basmati or brown rice.

*Garam Masala is a particular blend of Indian spices. You can find it at any Indian food store or order it through Penzey's spices.

1 comment:

Seamore Tomato said...

I'm so excited for tomorrow. This sounds so good and easy! And I have all of the ingredients! Many thanks!!!