Thursday, January 7, 2010

Breakfast: The Egg Sandwich


Have you seen the movie Spanglish? There is one scene where Adam Sandler is making the most beautiful sandwich you have ever seen. Well, it turns out that Sandler apprenticed under Thomas Keller in preparation for his role as a chef in this movie. Watch the video I just linked. You will die.

At home, I've turned the sandwich inside out, simplified it, and made it one of my ladies' favorite breakfasts. And you know how I feel about hot breakfasts.

The simplified versions of Thomas Keller's bachelor sandwich.

1. Fry an egg.
2. Toast a good piece of bread.
3. Spread butter and a little bit of cheese on the bread, then slice in half.
4. Place hot fried egg on top of toasted bread (preferably on top of the cheese half so the cheese will start to melt).
5. Place other half of bread on top. Wha-la--a fried egg sandwich for breakfast.

The ladies love biting into the sandwich while simultaneously trying to figure out who to manage the flowing yolk. And finally they like a dab of rasberry jam for dipping.

2 comments:

EmilyCC said...

My husband likes a little honey on his egg sandwich, but I think I'll have to try the raspberry jam idea!

Mikilani said...

I just linked over to your blog from Jennette's after drooling over her pictures of homemade artisan bread which she credits learning from you. I love your site. Can't wait to try your recipes. The bread is going to have to wait for a day when I have a bit more motivation, but for now, this egg sand and the masala sounds really good. (and doable!) I hope you are all well. Happy 2010!