Sunday, March 15, 2009

Dinner: St. Patrick's Day Meal


Several of you have asked me to post this. We do make this every March17th, although my sister informed me that Corned Beef and Cabbage is not really eaten in Ireland. Oh well, I tried. My absolute favorite part of the meal is the soda bread. I usually use this recipe. But after talking with a few foodies, I am really tempted to try this one. I'll let you know which one I use and how it turns out. Either way, this meal really is not complete without fresh butter on soda bread. And you may be scared of the caraway seeds, but they really make the bread. Happy St. Patrick's Day. Even if my beloved Irish technically don't eat Corned Beef and Cabbage, it is and always will be one of my very favorite things to eat.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this. Well, I've never made or eaten soda bread, but I love brisket and cabbage (my family always called it Boiled New England Dinner. Which isn't a very poetic name.) We add potatoes and rutabagas, too.

Maybe they don't eat it in Ireland, but I have Catholic friends in the midwest (whom I've met via an internet sewing site) who do eat it. With the soda bread. For St. Paddy's day.