Monday, February 4, 2008

Snack: The Best (Pinto) Bean Dip

When I was younger, one of my favorite restaurants offered a warm pinto bean dip along with their tortilla chips. After I left home, I craved the dip day and night. Fifteen years later, I've created a bean dip to fill that ever present craving. This dip takes the edge off of any homesickness I may be feeling.

1 can refried beans (pinto, of course)
1/4 cup sour cream
1/4 cup salsa
1/2 cup shredded cheese (I use the shredded mexican blend. If that is not available use mild cheddar.)

In a medium sauce pan, combine refried beans, sour cream, and salsa. While stirring, cook over medium heat until very hot (not quite bubbling). Add cheese and stir constantly while it melts. Now, at this point you may want to add more cheese, depending on how cheesy you want it to be. Pour into small serving bowl and top with additional cheese. (If you are really into this, I crumble queso blanco over the top of the hot dip. Queso blanco--now available in the cheese section of most Costco's--is a salty creamy mexican cheese that melts well. If you use it everyone who eats it will realize you totally know Mexican food, and you will be the talk of the block.) Serve with tortillas chips.


7 comments:

Jennette said...

Everyday when I read these I just want to give you a great big smooch.

So, on to other things, I saw a little something that said that Jamie Oliver has a new show that started on FoodNetwork in January. Have you seen this? I'm w/o cable....and suddenly feeling deprived.

Mikki said...

Yes! Another chip-dip recipe I have always wanted. I know I can research the internet to find one, but of course I trust your taste above others'. This recipe makes me miss Mesa, Arizona.

jenlinmin said...

This bean dip is a staple at our house. Becca also taught me to dip quesadillas (or cheese crisps for you fellow Mesans) in this dip. For those nights when you only have 1/2 hour between gymnastics and activity days... the perfect dinner!

Meghann said...

Serrano's style, yumm!!! I love eating vegetarian refried beans because then I don't feel so guilty smothering a cheesy quesadilla in it.

Carol F. said...

Another Mesan here (hurray for "cheese crisps")!! I have been experimenting trying to create a Serrano's style bean dip for a year and this is finally it. I had no idea it was the sour cream!! Thank you!

Far Infrared Saunas said...

I live in fort mohave arizona and they have a restaurant out here called Serrano's. They have the greatest bean dip and I was wondering how to make it. Your recipe sounds very close!

Best Far Infrared Saunas

Anonymous said...

I was certain that there were onions in the bean dip. It seems like when I tried to dissect it, I could see them. But yours don't have them..hmmmm...interesting. Can't wait to try your recipe though, it sounds delish.