Thursday, February 14, 2008

Dessert: The Sweetest, Kindest Sugar Cookie

Valentine's Day is a very big deal at our house. We send cards and pass out treats. For several years, I religiously made an extra large batch of heart-shaped, frosting-covered sugar cookies. We delivered them to neighbors, friends, and colleagues. Sadly, I do not have the time for this anymore. For the second year in a row, I have opted for an easier treat (last year we made Ina Garten's Homemade Marshmallows and this year we made Regan Daley's Chocolate Fudge Cookies). "How could those be easier than sugar cookies?" you may ask. Trust me, they are. But, that is not the point I want to make. I want to make this point: This is the best sugar cookie recipe I have ever used. I adore it. My sisters adore it. In fact, one sister loves it so much that when I told her I was posting my sugar cookie recipe, she asked "Are you really going to give that recipe away? Isn't that a secret?". Well, yes and no. I love giving recipes to others. And no, I do not believe in secret recipes. So, happy Valentine's Day to you. May your day be as sweet as the frosting on your perfect sugar cookie.

1 cup shortening (butter flavor is best)
2 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 cup sour cream (whole milk vanilla yogurt works just as well)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 Tbs. almond extract
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. soda
4 tsp. baking powder
4 1/2 cups flour

Cream shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs, sour cream and extracts. Add dry ingredients (may need a little more flour). Mix dough until soft. Chill several hours (even up to two days). Roll, cut, and bake at 350° for 10 minutes. (The longer you allow the dough to chill, the easier it is to roll and cut.)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohhhh, the famous secret sugar cookie recipe is finally out! I am a personal witness of the sweet sweet goodness of the chocolate fudge cookies! yum yum
We'll be sure to try the sugar cookies, maybe some shamrock shapes!

jenlinmin said...

I haven't been able to eat sugar cookies without almond extract once I discovered that secret ingredient (It was probably from you, Becca!) My advice is to put the almond extract in your frosting as well...

Kathy D said...

How about the recipe for your frosting? It is probably a granny recipe, though: "Oh, just put some powdered sugar in, a bit of butter, almond extract, milk, until it is right." I can't ever get it right. Will you give me your frosting tips?

Mikki said...

Best sugar cookies ever. I usually end up needing 5 to 6 cups of flour to be able to roll the dough out successfully. Almond extract is the secret ingredient!!!

Rebecca said...

Kathy--I usually use Ina Garten's cream cheese frosting recipe. If you don't have it, let me know.

Da Spears said...

My favorite take on the infamous Snow Sugar Cookies (that's what we call them): Make circles(use a peanut butter jar lid) and remember that they grow when they bake. Then, after they cool, dip half of the cookie in melted chocolate almond bark (found at Walmart) immediatly followed by a sprinkling of heath toffee bits. Be sure to let set on PARCHMENT (wax sticks big time) paper. I gift these to school teachers and very good friends. The only problem is they ask WHERE I got them. Grrr. So add a sticker: Homemade.

Carol F. said...

This is my favorite sugar cookie recipe!!! Butter Crisco, almond flavoring and sour cream--the unique ingredients. I agree with others, using the almond flavoring in the frosting, too, but one of my sisters doesn't like it that way.