Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Breakfast: Oatmeal Cookie Style Oatmeal

Oatmeal is a perfect food. It is easy to cook. It is easily influenced by other flavors. It is healthy. My kids eat it. At our house, we eat oatmeal from both ends of the spectrum--steel cut fancy oatmeal all the way to generic brand instant oatmeal from the cheapest grocery store. This year, I started experimenting with oatmeal. After several tries, I came up with a flavor to beat all, if I do say so myself. I chose instant oatmeal because I usually make this on a school day morning when time is of the essence. It is so full of tastiness, it reminds me of eating an oatmeal cookie. If your children have yet to develop a taste for almonds, omit them if you must.

serves 4

4 cups water
2 cups instant oatmeal (more depending on desired consistency)
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup shredded, sweetened coconut
2 Tablespoons slivered almonds

Bring water to a boil. Add oatmeal. Stir over low heat. Add extracts, brown sugar, coconut, and almonds. Mix. Add more oatmeal or anything else. Serve. Watch your children smile.

5 comments:

Em Russ said...

I love it!! I can't wait to try this out on my brood. I am so excited you are blogging and look forward to copying all your ideas!! mmmm, some of my favorite foods have come from your house!

Da Spears said...

Thanks for the ideas! I'm always wondering the same thing at lunch! Healthy too! You ROCK!

Kimberly said...

Way yummy. We do oatmeal a bowl at a time in the microwave. I've been adding nuts and dried fruit for years, but the extracts and the coconut--that's bling-ey oatmeal. I'm going to see if I can approximate the taste in the mw. Thanks, Becca!

jenlinmin said...

I cannot wait to try this oatmeal! I love the title of your blog too, Rebecca, Tortillas and Oranges! Way to return to your roots... you can take the girl out of the 'hood but you can't take the 'hood out of the girl!

P.S. Happy belated birthday too!!!

Kathy D said...

Tried this on 5 picky children this morning. They all loved it! We added a dash of cinnamon on top, and omitted the almonds and almond extract, as we did not have any on hand. I will get the extract today at the store and have it again tomorrow. Thanks so much! Keep the blogs coming...