Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Lunch: Adults Only Tuna Sandwich

Each day I fix my four-year-old daughter one of three possibilities for lunch: a bowl of yogurt topped with granola, a fluffernut sandwich (more on that next week), or an ambitious bowl of macaroni and cheese. I tire of these possibilities; and after fixing her plate I always ask myself, "but what should I eat?". Well, a few days ago I concocted a tuna sandwich that makes me excited about eating lunch. Here's hoping you will take a few minutes to fix a slightly nicer lunch for yourself than you will for your children.

serves 1-2 (depending on how hungry you are, and how late you put off eating lunch)

1 can albacore tuna
1/4 of a red onion-minced
1/2 of a lemon's juice
1 tsp. lemon peel
diced avocado
salt
dash of white pepper
dollop of mayonnaise

Add everything to a bowl and mix well. Eat as a salad alongside crusty bread, or find some sort of cracker to scoop it up, or settle for dressing up the same bread your children eat.

8 comments:

Jennette said...

Now I'm just excited about this blog!!! But I'm jealous that the world will now be privy to your great recipes and ideas....I thought I had an exclusive here!

Becky said...

Yhea!! I am so excited that you're blogging, Miss Becca! I love adult tuna fish sandwiches and the way you write about them makes me want to eat one right now. I will have to try this recipe and also post my own adult tuna sandwich recipe at my blog. Glad to know I've found a fellow Cook Book reader. . .I knew you were a kindred spirit!

bostonshumways said...

Yipee!!!! Yipee!!!! Yipee!!! Clearly, I've very excited about this blog Becca.

Mikki said...

VERY nice. I love tuna, so thanks for the new way to spice it up.

Karen said...

I'm so glad you started this blog! I can't tell you how many times since you left Berkeley that I've thought "I wish I had Becca's recipe for x ". Keep 'em coming!

Rachel said...

Becca, do you have a recipe for smiley toast?

Anonymous said...

These sandwiches sound soooo good, especially since I have a bunch of fresh tuna from my in-laws and our Meyer lemon harvest is in full swing.

Seamore Tomato said...

While I didn't have all of the ingredients on hand I did enjoy my modified tuna with a sweet pepper on the side. Mmmmm.

I'm looking forward to a lot more new (and obviously delicious) recipes.