Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Celebrating: Easter and the Cream Pie

Easter is approaching faster than I can say "peep", and I am rapidly planning my Easter menu. We all have our "must haves" for certain holiday meals. And for some unexplained reason, I have to have cream pies on Easter. Doesn't Easter always seem like a creamy day to you? Spring is in the air (or at least it should be), all the children are dressed in non-threatening pastels, and the smell of baked ham fills the air. So, in addition to the usual potatoes, ham and salad, I am fixated on cream pies. Last year I made key lime. This year, I will be doing chocolate cream with a graham cracker crust, followed by banana cream with a nilla wafer crust. Both will be easy, both will be yummy, and both will be devoured by 4:00pm this coming Sunday. What are you fixing for Easter Dinner?

6 comments:

Marianna said...

I am in charge of dessert for Sunday and am also thinking something creamy and fruity. It must be a spring thing...? I can't decide between giant cream puffs, trifle, or Tartine's Banana cream pie. Hmmm...

Mindy said...

I honestly never thought past the ham, funeral potatoes, and asparagus, that must grace our table. But the idea of having a cream pie sounds delightful. Thanks for the idea for dessert. I think I'm going to do a chocolate pie as well. Happy Easter!

Heather Parry said...

Cream pies do sound delicious, but I was in charge of dessert and I made apple pie. Always a crowd pleaser and even the little kids will eat it. Well, some of them will. I don't do anything fancy to my apple pie. I like it made with a simple recipe, but always substitute fresh nutmeg as it makes a huge difference. We all had it warmed and a la mode. The perfect chaser for that last few bites of funeral potatoes. And I'm hoping to have the leftover pie with my morning cup of chamomile tea. Yum.

Jennette said...

Sounds delish! I didn't make Easter dinner this year, but our hostess made Cream Puffs for dessert. Loved it. I think that the idea of a "cream" something for dessert is a great way of welcoming in Spring.

SLP said...

Rebecca - I found your blog! yeah!
I had no idea you were a fellow foodie and I am just drooling reading your blog - DELICIOUS!
I will become a faithful reader:)
Stacey

Meghann said...

We are sooooooo related. I am just the same way. In fact, I would prefer a cream pie over a fruit pie more often than not. (My hubbie is the exact opposite, being the Washingtonian, he has a special place in his heart for apple or strawberry rubarb pie. Don't even ask me what I think of rubarb . . . and I think I mispelled it.)